Electric Shocks

Most of the electrical injuries occur when young children insert metal objects, such as hair pins and keys, into the outlet, resulting in electric shock or burn injuries to the hand or finger.

  • Install Outlet covers to protect children from the risk of electrical shock, electrocution or electrical burns.
  • Avoid Small outlet caps because children can typically remove them from the receptacle (and tend to put them in their mouth).
  • GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) outlets should be in place in all “wet” areas, i.e.kitchens, baths, laundry, outdoors and garages.
  • Check that plugs are inserted completely into receptacles so that no parts of the plug prongs are exposed.
  • Surge protector power strips should be used in place of extension cords/ multi-plug adaptors. Surge protector power strips should be protected with covers.
  • Don’t keep electrical items within the reach of children. Extension cords, shredders, small appliances and curling irons are just a few examples of dangerous electrical items in the home.
  • Don’t keep open electric wires. Cover them prevent access to children.
  • Don’t use broken outlets or frayed cords. Have a certified electrician replace them.